Area Size : 105 Sq. Km.Population : 0.93 Millions.
Popular Languages : Malayalam, English, Tamil, Hindi
Coimbatore, also known as Kovai, is the second largest city in the state of Tamil Nadu. It is the administrative headquarters of the Coimbatore Districtand a major textile and engineering hub of India, especially Southern India. It is part of the ancient Kongu Nadu region of Tamil Nadu. Including its sub-urban areas the population is around 20 lakhs.It is also known as "Manchester of South India" in some circles. Coimbatore has the pride to held the 9th World Tamil Conference on January 21-24, 2010.
Situated on the banks of the Noyyal River, Coimbatore is known for its textile Mills,factories, engineering firms, automobile parts manufacturers, health care facilities, educational institutions, pleasant weather, hospitality and for its Kongu Tamil. Ooty, Coonnor and Valparai are close to the city making it a good tourist attraction.
Information about the origins of Coimbatore is scarce. During the early period it was inhabited by only Irulas -forest dwellers. A second Chola empire arose in the mid-9th century, and gained the territory encompassing Coimbatore. They established a planned layout, with the Koniamman temple in the center. It is also found that in early days this area was ruled by tribals, Kosars tribe being the prominent one among them. They had their headquarters at Kosampathur, which probably later became the present Coimbatore. The Sugarcane Breeding Institute at Coimbatore, 1927
Coimbatore was also the trading zone for the early visitng romans. vellalore near coimbatore is a trading hub. By the early 14th century, the region was ruled by the Muslim rulers of Madurai under the Delhi Sultanate. The Muslim rule in Madurai was ended in the late 14th century by the newly formed Vijayanagara Empire. The Vijayanagara reign brought new settlers from Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka. In the 1550s, the military governors (Telugu-speaking Nayaks) of the Vijaynagara Empire took control of Madurai, with Coimbatore belonging to their territory. After the downfall of Vijayanagara Empire, the Madurai Nayaks established their state as an independent kingdom, with other Vijayanagar offshoots forming new kingdoms in Vellore, Tanjore, Gingee, Chandragiri and Mysore. The Nayaks introduced the Palayakkarars, who were military governors of their respective regions. By the 1700s, frequent fighting between Madurai and Mysore forces in the Coimbatore region resulted in the region being ruled by Mysore. At this time Coimbatore was still a village of around 3000 people.
In the 1760s, the Mysore throne was usurped in a coup by General Hyder Ali. Ali was hostile to the British, who were gaining a foothold in the area with the help of Arcot Nawab. A series of wars between the British and the Mysore forces continued till Tipu Sultan's death in 1799, when the Mysore throne was handed over to the earlier Mysore rulers. At that time the British annexed the Coimbatore region into the Madras Presidency. When Hyder Ali acquired Coimbatore, the population was around 3000. The village dwindled to 1500 by Tipu's death.
Coimbatore played a prominent role in the Second Poligar War against the British in 1801, when the first attack was done against the British Columns stationed in Coimbatore by the King Dheeran Chinnamalai, Poligars of Salem, Coimbatore and Dindigul region along with some Malabar and Mysore rebels.
In 1804 Coimbatore was established as a capital for the newly formed Coimbatore district and in 1848, it was accorded the municipality status. Sir Robert Stanes, a British entrepreneur and philanthropist, became the first Chairman of the Coimbatore City Council and also founded the Stanes School in 1862, a major higher secondary school that is still a prominent educational institute of the district.
In 1981 Coimbatore became a corporation with annexation of the Singanallur municipality. The Tamil Nadu Agricultural University is located in Coimbatore. In 2005, the University celebrated its centenary with the opening of the Research Institute building.